26 REDS & A BOTTLE OF WINE

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion




I RENOUNCE MY THROWN. I AM NO LONGER THE PRINCE OF ZUMUNDA


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Coming to America was on channel 11 on Sunday afternoon. There is something great and nostalgic for me about watching movies on a Sunday afternoon on the old WPIX.

If you lived in New York City during the eighties and early nineties you were fortunate enough to be exposed to the phenomenon that was WPIX, local channel 11.

It was the kind of low-budget, small signal, non-network affiliated channel that I imagined existed for decades in secondary television markets across the country. Naturally, it just SEEMED that way. The Tribune Company owned WPIX since it's inception.

During the eighties and nineties WPIX was good for two things. Tales From The Darkside at 11 p.m. on Saturday nights and the stream of b-movies that the network played nearly everyday. On Saturdays and Sundays there were b-horror and sci-fi movies like The Stuff and Escape from the Planet of the Apes hosted in cramped studios be a string of over the top characters.

There is a genius to turning on public television and watching Piranha 2: The Spawning or Ice Pirates in the middle of the afternoon. Television needs a WPIX, broadcasting the type of movie that you don't have catch at the beginning to enjoy. After all, how hard is it to piece together the first 15 minutes of Andromeda Strain or Oh,God!?

Let's all start a television network!!!


4 Responses to “I RENOUNCE MY THROWN. I AM NO LONGER THE PRINCE OF ZUMUNDA”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Ok...but only if the first movie we show is this.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    What I love about that movie is that by the third part they are totally out of ideas. Just worn out and tired. They're kind of like: "whatever, stick a folk in us. Here's something about a crazy african doll... and we are outta here!"

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Ha!! That is absolutely what happened!!

    Ok...the next movie would HAVE to be this.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    My favorite thing about that review (if you can call it that) is the characterization of Martin Sheen as a pedophile.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm J.R.Knight
  • From
  • I'M SILENTLY JUDGING YOU BASED ON YOUR NETFLIX QUEUE
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

The Blind Man's Parade