26 REDS & A BOTTLE OF WINE

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion




I'M SICK OF SAYING NOTHING


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So... here's the deal. I've been avoiding this for a long time now because it hurts, and I hate to hurt but the truth will make me a beautiful butterfly.

Gawker is OVER.

God it's such bullshit. It's been months and months since Gawker had anything interesting to say or any way to say it.

Take Gawker's shining moment for example. Last year (or maybe the year before, I forget) some fresh out of college media buyer got drunk at Fox's upfront party at The Park and shit her pants. Okay, let me start over and give only the important info: Some girl shit her pants at a party and her name was all over Gawker. For a good week it was the greatest thing that had ever happened to the free world. People were losing their jobs, people were sending in college photos and testimonials. It was great. It was all anyone could talk about.

Now Gawker is like the guy who watches Desperate Housewives and then makes fun of it but everyone knows he secretly loves it because the detailing is too on the nose. It's like: "how would he know that unless he's been watching week after week?" That guy. That guy is the worst kind of loser. Worse than the guy who ran the high school AV Club. Worse than the guy who played chess in study hall. It's fake cool. It’s the opposite of cool. It's cold. It's Gawker.

I used to read Gawker all day. Ever hour would bring the joy of refreshing my Gawker page. Then, at some point, it stopped being fun and started being like being at the uncool party during graduation weekend. Not the uncool party who knew they were uncool so they were like "fuck it! There are no hot girls here and no cool people are coming so let's watch Star Trek Voyager and eat cheese-its until we get sick", no. It's the uncool party where everyone bad mouths the cool kids; saying she's a slut and he's gay, yet secretly hoping they both show up (but they won't) In short; Gawker has turned that most vile of New York emotions: Bitter.

Bitter? Yes, Bitter is the end of the New York road. Everything else flies here: envy, hate, greed, but bitterness? Bitterness means it's time to pack up and head about 60 miles north, buy a farmhouse and grow tomatoes.

I don't know when it happened. Like the glaziers it was too slow to notice. Yet I can't help but feel like it was sometime during Gawker's extended anti-Radar Magazine phase. No one noticed Radar magazine. I've never seen one, except on Gawker. Yet Gawker spent hundreds of posts on ever coming and going at Radar. If Radar took a shit, Gawker was there to bitch about it.

Maybe that was the beginning of the end, maybe not. Regardless, I haven't read Gawker with any seriousness in months. I treat it now the way I treat Fox News or a retarded cousin; with a pat on the head and a smile.


2 Responses to “I'M SICK OF SAYING NOTHING”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    It's more a series of links that we've all learned how to get on our own. There's an occasional funny turn of phrase. For real daily laughs, I rely on overheard in new york now. I think we are all savvy enough to have outgrown the gawk.... but I still gotta check it 2x a day...

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Yeah, 2 X a day. For me it's like heroine in that way.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm J.R.Knight
  • From
  • I'M SILENTLY JUDGING YOU BASED ON YOUR NETFLIX QUEUE
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

The Blind Man's Parade