26 REDS & A BOTTLE OF WINE

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion




THIS DAY IN MARTYRDOM


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Today in 1556 the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Crammer (shown left in his 'I'm not yet on on fire' days (aternative joke: shown here going as ZZ Top for Halloween)) was burned at the stake in Oxford England. His crime: loving too much.

“Then was an iron chain tied about Cranmer and fire set unto him. When the wood was kindled and the fire began to burn near him, he stretched forth his right hand, which had signed his recantation, into the flames, and there held it so the people might see it burnt to a coal before his body was touched. In short, he was so patient and constant in the midst of his tortures, that he seemed to move no more than the stake to which he was bound; his eyes were lifted up to heaven, and often he said, so long as his voice would suffer him, “this unworthy right hand!” and often using the words of Stephen, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit,” till the fury of the flames putting him to silence, he gave up the ghost.”
-John Foxe, The Book of Act and Monuments (Book of Martyrs), 1563


1 Responses to “THIS DAY IN MARTYRDOM”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice! I was named after a guy who got stoned to death.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm J.R.Knight
  • From
  • I'M SILENTLY JUDGING YOU BASED ON YOUR NETFLIX QUEUE
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

The Blind Man's Parade